I provide a range of services that ensure writing is of a high standard, suitable for readers and fit for publication or submission.
My business writing services include writing all or parts of a text. I can repurpose existing writing, or research and write new content. Sometimes structural editing reveals a project is missing essential content to achieve its purpose. I can work with you to help fill these gaps. I also help clients identify what type of information they will need before they start researching and developing their writing. Each project is different: contact me to discuss your specific requirements.
Structural editing reviews text at an early draft stage. It looks at how writing is ordered and structured to check that it makes good logical sense and achieves what is intended.
My structural editing service can include any of the following work:
- ensuring that content is consistent with the purpose and objectives of the text
- ensuring that the content is logically organised
- ensuring that headings and subheadings are used appropriately and consistently
- identifying repetition or gaps in the content
- ensuring that content meets a given set of requirements such as the criteria for a funding proposal
- identifying alternative ways to present information such as converting text to tables or diagrams.
Copyediting reviews text in detail at a final draft stage. My copyediting service makes improvements to ensure that:
- the writing can be clearly understood
- the style and tone of the writing is consistent and suitable for the reader
- the content is appropriate and correct
- the house style or a style guide is consistently applied
- figures, tables and captions are accurate and consistent
- facts and quotations are correct and referenced
- grammar, spelling and punctuation are correct.
Proofreading is a final quality check of text before it is published or submitted. My proofreading service checks the following for consistency and accuracy:
- grammar, spelling and punctuation
- formatting and layout
- information in tables
- cross-references and weblinks
- headers, footers, front and back matter
- illustrations, figures and captions.